Navigation

Can my dog eat that??

 

 

We love our pets!  Loving them sometimes means giving in to that look for some of our food. You know the look!  However, some foods are dangerous to pets. Many can cause stomach upset, seizures, and some even death.  Be aware of all the foods that are toxic for your pets.

 

Grapes and Raisins:

            These can cause kidney damage, kidney failure and even death. While not every pet will react, it’s best to avoid these.

 

Artificial Sweeteners:

            Xylitol, a popular sweetener found in gums and candies and even some diet versions of peanut butter and other foods is deadly. Causing insulin spikes and drops in blood sugar resulting in seizures, shock and eventual death.  Some low fat peanut butters even contain xylitol so read labels well.  Be extra cautious with leaving xylitol containing items in reach of your pet.

 

Garlic:

         While controversial in it’s possible health benefits for dogs, Garlic can cause severe consequences.  Garlic causes the liver to recognize red blood cells as damaged resulting in anemia which can result in lethargy, difficulty breathing, and even death.

 

Avocados:

       Avocados are safe for dogs but toxic to birds, cows, sheep, horses, and goats. Birds show signs of difficulty breathing, swelling and anorexia. While cattle, sheep, horses, and goats can have digestive problems and breast infections from ingesting avocados.

 

Chocolate:

    The chemical theobromine is the culprit in chocolate that causes problems. The darker and purer the chocolate, such as baker’s chocolate or dark chocolates the higher the level of theobromine. Theobromine causes hyperactivity, cardiac arrhythmia, seizures, and sometimes death.

 

Caffeinated beverages: 

     Coffee, tea, and soda containing caffeine are toxic for your pet. Large doses cause heart arrhythmias, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea and even coma.

 

Bacon and Ham:

            High in fat, bacon and ham can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can be very serious causing hospitalization.

 

Cooked Bones:

      Surprisingly, cooked bones are NOT good for your pet. They splinter easily and can puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.  The only solution is surgery.  If you must feed bones to your pet, feed raw bones. They are available at many local grocery stores from the meat department.

 

Pitted fruits:

    The pits in fruits such as peaches, plums and nectarines contain the poison cyanide. They are also the perfect size for getting lodged in the gastro intestinal tract.

 

Rhubarb:

    The leaves of the rhubarb plant can cause a drop in blood calcium levels. This results in salivation, tremors, lethargy, loss of appetite, and possibly kidney failure.

 

Macadamia nuts:

    An unknown toxin in macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, weakness, tremors, fever, and lethargy.

 

Onions:

            Onions contain a chemical called thiosulphate. Thiosulphate causes red blood cells to burst resulting in hemolytic anemia. Hemolytic Anemia shows up after a few days as diarrhea, vomiting, breathlessness, lethargy, and even death.

 

Sugar:

            Sugary, high fat sweets can cause pancreatitis. Your dog may show signs of diarrhea, decreased appetite, lethargy and abdominal pain.

 

Raw Fish:

            Raw fish has been known to cause a vitamin B deficiency in pets. This deficiency could result in seizures.  Fish that are most toxic include salmon and trout.  Some fish, like Salmon can also carry parasites that can be deadly if not treated properly.

 

Raw meat:

            While controversial, raw meat can be dangerous if infected with bacteria such as e. coli, or salmonella.  If you feed raw meat, get the highest quality possible to avoid infection.

 

Dairy Products:

            After puppyhood, most dogs can no longer digest dairy, being lactose intolerant. Too much milk can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Cheese has less lactose than milk so small bites are tolerable to most pets.

 

So, while it’s tempting to share our treats with our pets, think twice about what you are putting in your pet’s mouth.  What is delicious to us could be deadly for them.

 

Speak Your Mind

*